Hi friends, for our first recipe post, we decided to do something that is really special to our family. Chili and cornbread! I’m not sure what you all think, but in our family, chili and cornbread is the ULTIMATE in comfort food…next to mac and cheese…but we’ll get to that. The chili idea with Five Monkeys was actually born from an accident. Monkey #1 was helping make a meal for a large party one time. The meal was coming out nicely until…the pan with the beans got SCORCHED! Nothing kills a meal more than a burned taste. Monkey #1 was too close to meal time to try and remake it, not to mention being roughly 50 miles from the nearest grocery store. He then looked over at the jar of Five Monkeys and thought…I wonder. Pouring in a little at a time he realized the burn taste was fading and what was happening was amazing. The entire crowd later was raving about how amazing the beans were, and there the idea was born.
We hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
FIVE MONKEYS BBQ SAUCE CHILI
2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
½ Diced yellow onion
1 Diced red bell pepper
1 lb. Fresh ground turkey or beef
1 can-15oz Pinto beans
1 can-15oz Kidney beans
1 can-14.5oz Petite diced tomatoes w/ green chiles
2 tbsp. Chili powder
2 tbsp. Paprika
1 tbsp. Cumin
2 tbsp. Garlic-granulated
Pinch Crushed red pepper flakes
6oz Five Monkeys Original BBQ Sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Dice up onion & bell pepper. Put olive oil in a skillet and add diced onion & bell pepper. Sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften a bit (about 5 mins.)
2. While veggies are cooking, add pinto beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes & spices to a pot on medium heat. Lightly season with salt & pepper.
3. Add veggies to pot when they start to soften. Don’t overcook, the little bit of firmness adds texture to your finished chili.
4. Put turkey or ground beef in skillet that was used for the vegetables and lightly season with salt & pepper. Cook until lightly browned, drain, and then add to pot with other simmering ingredients.
5. Mix thoroughly and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the Five Monkeys Original BBQ Sauce and let simmer for an additional 20-25 minutes.
6. I prefer to taste test along the way and add seasoning to your preference (i.e. more or less salt, more or less pepper, etc.)
7. Enjoy with some barbecued chicken, ribs, tri tip, on nachos, chili dogs or maybe a nice bowl with shredded sharp cheese & a dollop of sour cream!